In order to strengthen mutual understanding and friendship between the Chinese people and people from all over the world, and to develop cooperation and exchanges in fields of politics, economy, culture, education and trade between China and other countries, Chinese government has set up a series of scholarship schemes to sponsor international students, teachers and scholars to undertake studies and researches in Chinese higher education institutions（Chinese HEIs）.
International students under Chinese Government Scholarship Programs（hereinafter referred to as scholarship students）will be allocated in Chinese HEIs or Chinese research institutes designated by the Ministry of Education of P. R. China（hereinafter referred to as MOE）to pursue their proposed studies in the areas related to science, technology, agriculture, medicine, economics, law, management, education, history, liberal arts and philosophy.
MOE formulates Chinese government scholarship plans on an annual basis, and entrusts China Scholarship Council（hereinafter referred to as CSC）to manage the recruitment and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship Programs.
Welcome outstanding students, scholars and teachers from all over the world to undertake studies and researches in China!
CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM AND APPLICATION
1. Chinese Government Scholarship Scheme（scholarship quota specified according to inter-governmental agreements）
It is established by MOE in accordance with educational exchange agreements or MOUs signed between Chinese government and governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions and relevant international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. The scheme supports students who come to study in China on undergraduate and postgraduate programs, Chinese language training programs, general scholar and senior scholar programs.
Applicants shall apply for the scholarship through dispatching authorities, institutions or the Chinese diplomatic missions.
2. CHINA/UNESCO - the Great Wall Fellowship Scheme（25 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship scheme set up by MOE for candidates recommended by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization（UNESCO）. It is only available to applicants who come to study as general scholars and senior scholars.
Applicants shall apply to the National Commissions for UNESCO in their home countries.
3. Study in Asia Scholarship Scheme（20 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship scheme established by MOE aiming to stimulate the mobility of Asian students and scholars within Asia. It aims to strengthen mutual understanding among the people in Asian countries, develop education cooperation and exchanges, and promote Asian education quality. It is only available to applicants who come to study as general scholars and senior scholars.
Applicants shall apply to the Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries.
4. China/AUN Scholarship Scheme（20 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship provided to ASEAN member countries by MOE, with the purpose of encouraging students, teachers and scholars from ASEAN member countries to study in China, and enhancing mutual understanding and friendship.
Applicants shall apply to the ASEAN Secretariat.
5. Chinese Government Scholarship Program for EU（100 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship scheme set up by MOE for high school graduates or university students from EU to learn Chinese for one year in China.
Applicants shall apply to the Mission of P.R China to the European Union.
6. China/Shanghai Cooperation Organization（SCO）Scholarship Scheme（100 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship provided for SCO member countries by MOE, with the purpose of encouraging students from SCO member countries to study in China.
Applicants shall apply to the Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries.
7. China/Pacific Islands Forum（PIF）Scholarship Scheme（10 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship provided for some pacific island countries by MOE, with the purpose of encouraging students from these countries to study in China.
Applicants shall apply to PIF Secretariat.
8. Chinese Government Special Scholarship Scheme-University Postgraduate Program（scholarship quota specified by MOE）
It is a full scholarship scheme set up by MOE aiming to support Chinese universities under “985 Project” to recruit postgraduate students.
Applicants shall directly contact the Chinese HEIs under this program for application.
9. Chinese Government Special Scholarship Scheme-Degree Oriented Program in Provinces and Autonomous Regions（scholarship quota specified by MOE）
It is a full scholarship scheme set up by MOE aiming to support Chinese universities designated by local education departments in specific provinces or autonomous regions to recruit international students who come for postgraduate studies.
Applicants shall directly contact the provincial education departments or Chinese HEIs under this program for application.
10. Distinguished International Students Scholarship Scheme（200 scholarships available in 2010）
It is a full scholarship scheme established by MOE to sponsor outstanding international students who have earned their Bachelor degree or above in China and have been enrolled by Chinese HEIs for their further studies in China and also available for those who are currently pursuing their postgraduate studies in Chinese HEIs.
Applicants shall apply for the scheme to CSC through their host institutions.
11. Chinese Culture Research Fellowship Scheme（30 scholarships available in 2010）
The scheme is established by MOE to sponsor overseas scholars and specialists of Chinese culture to conduct short-term research and exchanges in China.
Applicants shall apply for the scholarship through their partners in Chinese HEIs, the Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries or directly to CSC.
12. Short-term Scholarship Scheme for Foreign Teachers of Chinese Language（enrollment quota specified by MOE）
It is established by MOE to sponsor international teachers of Chinese language to do short-term training and research in China.
Applicants shall apply for the scholarship through the Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries.
DETAILS OF THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS
1. Chinese Government Scholarship falls into two categories：full scholarship and partial scholarship.
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for laboratory experiment, fee for internship and fee for basic learning materials; free accommodation on campus;
- Living allowance;
- One-off settlement subsidy;
-Fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China;
- One-off inter-city travel subsidy（each for coming-in and leaving China）;
A hard-seat train ticket（hard-berth train ticket for overnight trip）will be provided for scholarship students traveling from the port of entry upon registration to the city where the admitting institution or Chinese language training institution or preparatory education institution is located, students traveling from the Chinese language training institution or the preparatory education institution to the city where the university for major study is located, and students traveling from the city where the institution is located to the nearest port for departure upon graduation.
2）Partial scholarship：One or some items of the full scholarship
* International travel expenses：Applicants are expected to pay for their own international travel expenses unless it is set in bilateral agreements or arrangements.
For more information about the scholarships above, please refer to Application Procedures.
APPLICATION FOR CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
1. Time for Application
The application period for the Chinese Government Scholarship Program is from January to April, 2011. Applicants shall consult the dispatching authorities about details on the application period and procedures.
As for Chinese Government Special Scholarship Scheme-University Postgraduate Program and Degree Oriented Program in Provinces and Autonomous Regions, applicants shall contact the Chinese HEIs under these programs for the deadlines for application.
2. Application Mode
- Applicants shall meet the basic qualifications prescribed in the Application Procedures.
Those who are available for online application shall fill in and submit the application form online first and then submit the printed version and the supporting documents required by CSC to the dispatching authorities.
Please visit the CSC Online Application System for Study in China （http://laihua.csc.edu.cn）. The "agency code" for applicants from Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and Hawaii is 8403.
Those who cannot apply online shall ask their dispatching authorities for the application form and submit the documents to the dispatching authorities.
- Applicants shall fill in the Application From for Chinese Government Scholarship truly, correctly and completely. They also need to provide supporting documents including notarized photocopies of diplomas, transcripts, study plan, health certificate and recommendation letters.
- Application documents shall reach CSC before the deadline via dispatching authorities. Application documents received after the deadline will not be processed.（Please see Application Procedures）
- Application documents will not be returned.
- Crucial documents such as original copies of diplomas and Foreigner Physical Examination Form must be properly kept by the applicants themselves.
- Dispatching authorities for Chinese Government Scholarship Program are as follows:
Embassies（Consulate-General）of P. R. China in sending countries
Embassies of sending countries in China
Provincial education departments in China
Chinese higher education institutions（Chinese HEIs）
Other education institutions
3. Selection of Institutions and Specialities
Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship Program shall choose their host institutions and subjects from the Chinese HEIs under the Program. Please check the Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program or visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/ for further information.
4. Language of Instruction
- Chinese HEIs generally use Chinese as instruction language. Applicants with no command of Chinese are generally required to take Chinese language courses for 1-2 years before their major studies. Applicants who apply for study in science, engineering, agriculture, medicine（western medicine）, economics, management and law are required to take Chinese language courses for 1 year. Applicants who apply for study in literature, history, philosophy, and medicine（traditional Chinese medicine, Chinese herb medicine）are required to take Chinese language courses for 2 years.
- Chinese is the only instruction language for undergraduate programs. Some of the Chinese HEIs could conduct postgraduate programs and non-degree courses for general and senior scholars in English. Please check the Directory of the Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program（http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/）.
5. College Preparatory Program
According to the regulation of MOE, applicants coming for their undergraduate studies under the Chinese Government Scholarship Program are required to attend the college preparatory courses in the universities appointed by CSC for one to two years. College preparatory courses include the fundamentals of Chinese language, mathematics, physics and chemistry. Only by passing the examinations set for the college preparatory courses, can they start their undergraduate studies on time.
CSC entrusts Beijing Language and Culture University, Tianjin University, Shandong University, Nanjing Normal University, Huazhong Normal University and Tongji University to offer the college preparatory courses in 2010/2011 academic year.
Fresh students could be exempted from the college preparatory courses if they:
- Complete their secondary school education in Chinese：a letter from their school of secondary education certifying that Chinese language is the instruction language for the compulsory courses must be submitted.
- Take the HSK test and reach the certain level required by the host university. The HSK Certificate must be attached to the application documents and submit to CSC in the meantime. The validation of the HSK test result is two years.
ADMISSION OF SCHOLARSHIP STUDENTS
1. CSC will assess all the application documents and CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the proposed institutions, specialties and duration of study. The application requests will not be accepted if they fail to meet the eligibility or the documents submitted are incomplete.
2. The qualified applications will be forwarded to institutions for academic caliber and they will forward their nominations to CSC for agreement. If the applicant has been accepted by an institution prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose the relevant admission letter in the application documents.
3. Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese HEIs will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship with the approval from CSC.
4. CSC will send the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China（JW201）to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31st , 2010, who will forward the documents to the students.
5. As for the admission of Chinese Government Special Scholarship Scheme-University Postgraduate Program and Degree Oriented Program in Provinces and Autonomous Regions, please refer to the Application Procedures.
6. Each applicant can only apply for ONE type of scholarship under the Chinese Government Scholarship Program. Applicants should note although they may apply for more than one scholarship or more than one institution, only one offer of award may be awarded. And CSC reserves the right to choose a scholarship or a university for the applicant under such circumstances.
VISA APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION IN CHINA
1. Visa Application
Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program should apply for visa to study in China at the Chinese embassy or consulate-general with the original documents and one set of photocopies of the Admission Notice, Visa Application for Study in China（JW201）, Foreigner Physical Examination Form and valid ordinary passport. Those who will study in China for more than 6 months need to apply for “X” visa, and those who will study in China less than 6 months（including 6 months）shall apply for “F”visa. The scholarship students must come to China and register with institutions with the original copies of the above documents. Students who come to China with other types of passports, visas or without the original documents will not be able to register with institutions, nor will they be able to apply for the residence permit in China.
Scholarship students must register with the institutions within the due time with original Admission Notice, Visa Application for Study in China（JW201） and Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Those who are unable to register on time must get permission from the institution directly. Those who fail to register without the prior consent of the institution will be considered as voluntarily giving up the scholarship which will be automatically withdrawn.
3. Health Verification and Residence Permit
Health verification：Scholarship students who are to stay in China for more than 6 months are requested to bring their passports, Admission Notice, the original Foreigner Physical Examination Form and the Blood Test Report to the local health quarantine office within the due time to have their medical examination reports verified. Scholarship students who do not meet the requirements of the above authority will be required to re-take the medical examination. Those who refuse to re-take the medical examination or are diagnosed with diseases that are not permitted to enter China according to the Chinese laws and regulations will be required to leave China.
Residence Permit：After the health verification, the scholarship students must apply for residence permit to the local police authority with their passports, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China（JW201）within 30 days upon their arrival.
Expenses incurred in the procedures above shall be born by the scholarship students themselves.
The Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship students in Beijing Language and Culture University will provide transfer service to new scholarship students who have to make a stopover in Beijing to other cities between August 25th and September 15th, 2010. Detailed services provided during the stopover are as follows:
1. Free accommodation on campus（double room）for full scholarship students and partial scholarship students who are exempt from accommodation fee.
2. One-off settlement subsidy for full scholarship students
3. Medical service needed during the transfer for full scholarship students and partial scholarship students whose scholarship covers medical care service.
4. A hard-seat or hard-berth train ticket from Beijing to the city where the institution is located.
Embassies（Consulate-General）of P. R. China in sending countries, embassies of sending countries in China or international students themselves are kindly requested to inform the Transfer Service Station of the arrival date as well as the flight or train number one week in advance.
Transfer Service Station for Chinese Government Scholarship Students:
Add：No. 15 Xueyuan Lu, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R. China
The full scholarship students who arrive in Beijing before or after the transfer service period or those who make a stopover in cities other than Beijing have to go to their universities by themselves. They will be reimbursed the hard-seat or hard-berth train ticket between the port of entry and the city of their institutions after registration. They will receive the one-off settlement subsidy after registration.
CHANGE OF ACADEMIC PROGRAM, INSTITUTION AND EXTENSION OF STUDY
Scholarship students are not permitted, in principle, to change their subjects, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice and the Visa Application Form for Study in China（JW201）.
THE ANNUAL REVIEW OF CHINESE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP STATUS
1. In accordance with the Measures for the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status, scholarship students who study in China for more than one year must participate in the annual review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status. Entrusted by CSC, the hosting institutions will make a comprehensive review on the scholarship students’ performance, including academic record, learning attitude, class attendance, behavior, rewards and punishment.
2. Those who are qualified in the annual review will enjoy the scholarship for the following academic year. For those who fail in the annual review, their scholarships will be suspended or terminated for the following academic year.
3. If students whose scholarship has been suspended but wish to continue to study in China, they still enjoy the comprehensive medical insurance provided by Chinese government during the suspension.
4. If students have financial difficulty during the suspension, they can apply to their host institutions for expense deduction. If they wish to resume the scholarship status, they can apply to participate in the annual review for the next academic year. Their scholarship status will be resumed if they are qualified for the annual review.
5. Students who have been disqualified from the scholarship status are not allowed to apply for scholarship resumption.
Please refer to the Measures for the Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status for details.