Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the history and purpose of the CESASC Scholarship Awards?
Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (CESASC), founded in 1962, is a leading Chinese-American professional organization, which promotes and advocates the best interests, aspirations, and professional excellence of Chinese-American engineers and scientists in Southern California. Over the years, CESASC provides annual scholarships for qualified undergraduate and graduate students on the merit or merit and financial need basis as its important regular community service.
The scholarship funding comes from corporate and individual donors and is managed by the CESASC Scholarship Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. CESASC Scholarship Committee is responsible to select qualified awardees from applicants.
2. Who is eligible for the scholarship?
Sophomores and above or graduate students in a university or college are eligible. Students from non-Chinese descent and applicants from non-science/engineering majors are also welcome to apply.
3. What is the deadline to apply for the scholarship?
All scholarship applications are due on or before midnight Pacific Time, on January 31, 2010.
4. How do I apply?
The application form (excel format) is at http://www.cesasc.org. Download the template and enter all the required information, save the excel file using your last name and age as the filename; e.g. wang23.xls. Email the file to theaddress listed as follows along with the following:
1) A one-page summary of personal experience including future goals, extra curriculum activities, and any notable achievements. Convert this document to PDF format if possible, or email it in as a Microsoft word document.
2) Write an essay (500 words or less) on how you may support the American Asian Community Organization such as CESASC
3) Transcripts may be emailed in using .pdf formats; we may also request a hard copy if needed.
4) Attach a recent photograph of yourself in the Excel application file Recommendation letters can be emailed to the following address directly.
Yiu Man So
CESASC Scholarship Committee
2000 E. Imperial Hwy
EL Segundo, CA 90245
You should also submit the supporting materials that are specified in the application form. Please do not submit any materials that are not specified in the application.
5. May I apply for the CESASC scholarship for more than one year?
Beginning 2010, qualify applicants may re-apply for the scholarship up to three year consecutively. This opportunity is aim to support sophomore.
6. What will you do with the information I submit?
The CESAC Scholarship Committee will determine the merit of the individual applicants based on two criteria: (1) Academic performance, and (2) financial needs. An interview by phone will be considered for the finalists.
7. How will the number of awardees and the amount of individual scholarship be determined?
The number of awardees and the amount of scholarship will be decided with the consideration of the numbers of applicants and available funds. Based on prior years’ experience, the number of awardees would be from five to ten, and each scholarship is between $500 and $1,000.
8. How can I find out whether I am awarded with a scholarship?
The scholarship awardees will be notified by phone and mail in March, 2010.
9. Are there any other requirements for award recipients?
The awardees will be recognized at the CESASC annual convention in the evening of April 24, 2010 at the Hilton San Gabriel Hotel. The award certificates and checks will be handed out to the awardees at a ceremony.
With very few exceptions, awardees must appear in person at the ceremony to receive the awards.
10. Graduate student awardees may be invited to give short presentations about their academic research in the afternoon of April 24, 2010 at the same hotel during the CESASC Technical Symposium.
Wensheng Zhou, Ph.D.
CESASC 2009 President
[ email@example.com ]