We are all aware of the many initiative/performance metrics at play in the California Community Colleges (CCC). Understanding, tracking, responding to, and reporting these various metrics have been difficult at best. In response to the metrics-related concerns expressed by our CCC colleagues, Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley has initiated an effort to integrate, simplify and align these various metrics. The initiative, led by Visiting Vice Chancellor Omid Pourzanjani, will be conducted through a series of meetings with a representative advisory group to ensure that ample input from the colleges will guide the preparation and recommendation of a simplified set of metrics to the Chancellor’s Office.
The fundamental approach for this work is outlined below:
1. The focus will be strictly on students and their educational journeys from recruitment to completion, not on functional divisions, grants, funding sources, etc.
2. The outcome will be a simplified set of metrics drillable for details. This set of metrics will displace all other student-specific metrics (except for federal metrics such as Perkins).
3. Equity will not be viewed as a separate activity; instead it will be observed across all metrics. Therefore each metric will be drillable by gender, age, ethnicity, first-gen, SES, etc.
4. Metrics will be broken into three categories: access (input), practices (process), and student outcomes (output). Alignment with Guided Pathways and Completion by Design frameworks will also be considered.
5. Number of recommended metrics will be limited to ensure that we focus only on critical measures.
6. Each metric will be closely reviewed to ensure it is valid, viable, drillable, measurable, and critical.
7. An implementation/transition plan will be created for when each metric in the set can be put into production and which ones need legislative work. Extensive analysis and modeling of data will be performed before the presentation of the implementation/transition plan.
Schedule Of Activities
A tentative schedule for the activities is outlined below:
• February 26 at 10:00 a.m. – First statewide webinar
• March 12 – Second meeting with the statewide working group
• March 26 at 10:00 a.m. – Second statewide webinar
• April 23 – Final meeting with the statewide working group
• April 30 at 10:00 a.m. – Third statewide webinar
• April 30 – Final report delivered to the Chancellor’s Cabinet
A whitepaper will be prepared before each working group meeting to provide background on critical issues to the participants. It will include such information as an inventory of existing and legislated metrics, syntheses of national efforts to create statewide community college metrics, and guidelines for developing a set of recommended metrics. The first whitepaper has been published and shared publicly along with related information.
Webinar Participation Info
To attend any of the three statewide webinars, please use the following participant information. The same information is valid for all three webinar dates:
Meeting Title: Metric Simplification Initiative
Time: 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: http://cccconfer.org/GoToMeeting?SeriesID=508710b4-64ea-4985-8eb4-2f8ee0ce0bd4
Or join by phone: 1-913-312-3202*, Participant Passcode: 781826
California Community Colleges Chancellor''''s Office
1102 Q Street, Sacramento, CA 95811